This dish has become one of my household favourites because it’s so light and fresh and there’s so many ways you can change it up with different vegetables. I know this seems like a lot of ingredients but after you’ve made this once you’ll take a quarter of the prep time. Vegans, you can simply substitute the butter for olive oil and omit the yoghurt. And for the meat eaters, you can use chicken instead of the cauliflower.
- 100g butter OR 100ml olive oil
- 3 brown onions, peeled, diced 5mm
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 Tbs cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 medium cauliflower or 2 large eggplants cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled, diced 2cm (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g tinned, chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 cup water
- 20 saffron threads OR a decent pinch (optional)
Carrot Currant Topping
- 3 small-medium carrots, cut into fine matchsticks
- ¾ cup currants OR sultanas
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups cooked Basmati rice (which be pre-cooked in the Crockpot® Express on the RICE/GRAINS setting)
- ½ cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped, including stems
- To make the carrot currant topping, combine the carrots, currants, sugar and water in the Crockpot® Express Easy Release Pressure Multicooker. Set to SIMMER. Press START/STOP. Cook until the carrots are just tender and currants plump. Press START/STOP. Set aside.
- To begin the base for the cauliflower, select BROWN/SAUTÉ. Press START/STOP. Combine the oil (and butter if using), onions, garlic, cumin, garam masala, cardamom and salt in the cooker. Cook until onions are softened and slightly golden and spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the cauliflower, potatoes, salt, tomatoes, veg stock powder, saffron (if using) and water. Secure the lid, ensure the Steam Release Dial is in the ‘Seal’ (closed) position and select RICE/GRAINS. Press START/STOP.
- When cooking has finished, release the steam and remove the lid. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, spoon some rice and the vegetables into bowls or plates. Sprinkle a tablespoon of the carrot currant mix and also pistachios on top, then a dollop of Greek style yoghurt and fresh coriander over each serving.