“This dish is so easy to make in just one pot and I can’t believe how much flavour it packs” – Poh.
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, sliced in half
- 1 small brown onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled, sliced roughly
- 50g butter or ghee
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cardamon pods, bashed
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml tinned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 200ml cream
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Raita (optional):
- 1½ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ continental cucumber, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 20g butter or ghee
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 700ml water
To make the rice:
- Set the Crock Pot Express Easy Release Oval Multi Cooker to BROWN/SEAR. Press START/STOP Melt the butter in the pot then stir in the turmeric and rice until everything is well combined. Press START/STOP.
- Stir in the water and secure lid and ensure the Steam Release Dial is in the ‘Seal’ (closed) position. Press RICE/GRAINS then START/STOP to cook for 12 minutes When cooked, run a spatula through the rice to separate the grains and transfer them to a bowl to keep warm until needed.
To make the raita:
- Mix all the raita ingredients in a bowl until combined. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
To make the chicken:
- Blitz the onion, garlic and ginger in a blender or small food processor until it becomes a paste.
- Set the Crock Pot Express Easy Release Oval Multi Cooker to SAUTÉ Press START/STOP Combine the butter, coriander, cumin, cloves and cinnamon in the pot and toast until fragrant.
- Add the blended aromatic paste and sauté for around 4 minutes or until very fragrant. Add the cardamon, nutmeg, garam masala, chilli powder, black pepper and bay leaves and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients then the chicken pieces. Press START/STOP.
- Secure lid and ensure the Steam Release Dial is in the ‘Seal’ (closed) position. Press MANUAL and adjust time to 10 minutes. Press START/STOP.
- When cooking has finished, release the steam and remove the lid. Serve with the rice and a good dollop of the raita.