This is a much-loved dish all through Malaysia and Singapore. Cooking it traditionally is usually a two-hour job but this Express Crock XL version, takes only 25 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
- 1½ cups thinly sliced spring onion
- 3 cups Jasmine or long grain rice
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon soy
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxin rice wine (available at Asian grocers and some supermarkets)
- 1 - 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 kg whole chicken thighs
- 1 continental cucumber, halved lengthways, sliced 5mm
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (optional)
- 1/2 cup kecap manis
- 1/4 cup Sriracha or any store-bought garlic chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Select SAUTÉ, then press START/STOP. Immediately combine the olive oil, garlic, ginger and spring onions in the Crockpot® Express Crock XL Multi-Cooker and stir until golden and fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir until coated evenly with oil. Stir in the stock, soy, sesame oil and Shaoxin rice wine. Taste to season, then lay the chicken thighs evenly across the surface of the rice. Secure the lid ensuring the steam release valve is in the seal (closed) position. Press START/STOP.
- Select RICE/GRAINSthen press START/STOP.
- When the cooking has finished, carefully release the pressure and allow to rest on KEEP WARM.
- To make the chilli sauce, combine the chilli sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Serve with the cucumber on the side, then a good drizzle of kecap manis and chilli sauce to taste, over the chicken. Garnish with coriander.