Use a Crockpot this year to make a festive roast chicken and pumpkin mash stuffing.
- 2kg whole chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp peppercorns, freshly ground
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 large sage leaves, finely chopped
- 50g softened butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1kg whole butternut pumpkin, peeled, halved and de-seeded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Pine nuts, to serve (optional)
- Fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
For the stuffing
- 3 slices brioche loaf
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tsp brandy (optional)
- For the stuffing, in a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Pour over the chicken stock, butter and brandy (if using) and mix until well combined (be gentle, otherwise it gets mushy.)
- Fill the chicken cavity with the brioche stuffing. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic, sage and butter.
- Press BROWN/SEAR and add in oil. Place chicken into cooking pot and turn until slightly browned. Once complete press START/STOP. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Place the butternut into the Crockpot® Express Easy Release Oval Multi Cooker and pour over the chicken stock. Rub the chicken with the sage garlic butter and then place on top. Press the MEAT/POULTRY button and set timer to 35 minutes. Press START.
- When the cooking time has elapsed, release the pressure. Gently place the chicken on a serving plate. If you like, stud the stuffing with extra cranberries.
- Transfer the pumpkin to a serving bowl and mash until smooth. Garnish with pine nuts and parsley, if you like. Serve with the chicken juices to pour over the sliced chicken and enjoy.