Rich, hearty beef stew with various vegetables and spices is perfect for the cooler months.
- Olive oil, for searing
- 2.5 kg chuck or round steak, coarsely chopped
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to season
- 3 cups (750mls) beef stock
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 500g white potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 500g sweet potato, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups passata
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- Press BROWN/SEAR, then press START/STOP. Add 1 tbs olive oil to the cooking pot. When hot, add the onions and celery, stir through until the onions begin to soften (roughly 2-3 minutes).
- Add the beef and stir frequently until brown. You may need to do this in batches, so add a little more oil as required.
- Add the garlic, seasoning, paprika, herbs, onion powder and chilli powder. Coat beef well.
- Pour in the soy sauce and beef stock and stir through. Press START/STOP.
- Add the remaining ingredients: potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. Then add passata and tomato paste. You don’t need to stir the sauce into the stew as it will prevent it from getting burnt on the bottom.
- Secure the lid ensuring the steam release dial is in the ‘seal’ (closed) position. Press MANUAL PRESSURE. Press START/STOP. Once the cooking process is complete, carefully release the pressure.
- Serve with fresh bread, and garnish with parsley.